Thursday, March 17, 2011

My Cooking Journal 4 - Sambal Sotong

As a working mum, my target is to cook a express and delicious dish for my family. Usually, I would prepare my cooking ingredients one night in advance. Then, I can start cooking dinner (available time preparing for dinner is approximately 40 mins) once I arrived home from work. After preparing my dinner, I would then fetch my kids home from their child care centre and shall be able to have dinner together by 7.00p.m.

This dish is very simple to prepare and this recipe can be considered an instance cooking dish. I would buy the sambal paste from our local supermarket. Both brands are considerably nice. I usually pruchased the brand known as "Singlong" from NTUC and the other brand  which is known as "Tean's Gourmet" (in packet form) from Sheng Shiong Supermarket.


Ingredients:
  1. 200-300g of fresh squid
  2. 1 clove of Shallots (sliced)
  3. 4 clove of garlic (diced)
  4. 1/2 inch of ginger (diced)
  5. 1 Red Onion (Sliced)
  6. 1 packet of Sambal Paste (photo shown as above)
  7. 1/2 teaspoon of Sugar
  8. Small pinch of pepper

Methods:

  1. Clean the squid and peel off the skin. Remove all cavities and cut off the ink sac and cut the head into 2 pieces. Slice the squid wide open, use the tip of the knife to lightly score a diagonal pattern on the entire surface, without cutting through it. Cut into rectangle pieces and set aside, with the tentacles.
  2. Heat a wok with oil. Put in ginger, stir fry till they turn slightly brown, then add garlic and shallot, saute till they are fragrant. 
  3. Add sambal paste, stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes, until fragrant.
  4. Add in squids, sugar and pepper and stir well until cook.
  5. Simmer on low heat, put in the sliced red onion and stir fry until it about to get soft.  
  6. Remove from heat and garnish and serve.





No comments:

Post a Comment