Sometimes, if I have run out of idea on what to cook or my laziness has simply shut my brain to generate any cooking ideas, I would then choose to cook fried rice (Chinese Style) for my family. It is a very simple dish to cook and the ingredients involved are usually very easy to source in your fridge.
The main ingredients are white rice (preferably overnight/left over rice), egg, garlic, fish sauce whereas the rest of the ingredients really depends on individual's preference.
However, to get a nice and tasty fried rice, it is best to use chilled overnight rice as the freshly cooked rice contains more moisture in it tends to give you a sticky lumpy texture after cooked.
- Prepare a wok/pot with water (that is enough to cover the cauliflower florets and carrots), add few drops of olive oils and pinch of salt. Once water boils, pour in the cauliflower florets and carrots. Blanch them for about 5 minutes and remove from wok. Rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Heat wok, add chinese sausages to wok and briefly stir fry till its turn lightly brown. Dish out and set aside.
- Add fish cake to wok, also briefly stir fry till its turn lightly brown. Dish out and set aside.
- Heat up 2 tablespoon of olive oil, add sliced ginger and stir fry over high heat till fragrance. Add minced garlic and stir fry till it turns lightly brown.
- Add rice, stir, flip and toss till rice becomes loose and coated well with oil and mince garlic.
- Add one egg onto the rice, spread them evenly on the rice. Stir and flip till the rice mixture becomes dry.
- Add cauliflower florets and carrot, mix well evenly.
- Add chinese sausages and fish cakes, again mix well with the rice and stir throughout.
- Add one more egg onto the rice mixture, spread them evenly with the rice mixture and stir fry till the rice mixture is dry.
- Add dash of sugar, pepper and 2 tablespoon of fish sauce, give them a thorough stir and mix well evenly or until the rice is aromatic.
- Dish up and garnish with fried shallot and red chilli. Ready to serve.